Avoiding Bee Stings

Carpenter bee in the nature

The warmer weather naturally encourages one to be outside. However, the lovely spring weather encourages flowers to bloom, naturally attracting bees. So as you and your loved ones spend time outside, watch out for stinging bees on your property! 

If you or someone you live with has a bee sting allergy, bees need to be removed immediately as they can seriously hurt someone. Bee stings are frightening and unwanted even for people without a bee allergy. It is also essential to know the proper ways to treat a bee sting! A great way to avoid bee stings and other troubles with bees is to do some DIY maintenance to keep bees away from your house and property. If you are worried about a potential bee infestation in your home, contact Termiguard to remove the bees safely! Bees are so necessary to our planet, yet it is excellent to promote ways to keep you and your loved ones safe from bee stings. 

Bee stings are an annoyingly common injury. Bee stings inject venom into your skin, and it stimulates the nerve ending of the pain receptors in your body. Thus it creates an initial sharp pain that slides into a dull pain after 10 to 15 minutes. The body will react with swelling and redness in the surrounding areas of the skin, and the area is prone to feel itchy. These bee sting injuries can last for a few days, as the skin surrounding the site of the sting will be tender. If you have already been stung by a bee, your body will recognize the injury and address the sting much quicker than someone who has never been stung by a bee. It is important to treat a bee sting as quickly as possible, so the injury can heal faster, and the stung person can feel safe and comfortable. 

The Dangers of Bee Stings

However, bee stings are more than a causal injury for people who have an allergy. In this case, bee stings are dangerous and life-threatening. If you think somebody has an allergy, they need to get tested so they know their conditions and keep the proper treatment methods with them. It is important as bee stings are common injuries. Allergic reactions to bee stings can range from hives, swelling, nausea, cramps, and vomiting. Life-threatening reactions can include unconsciousness, shock, dizziness, and difficulty breathing. These reactions can be delayed or immediate. When an allergic person is stung, their body could enter a life-threatening state as their blood pressure will drop extremely low and fluid will enter the lungs. Their body will go into anaphylactic shock, and they can die if not reversed quickly! A person who knows they have a bee allergy should always carry an epi-pen to reverse the effects of a severe allergic reaction quickly. These extreme reactions to something as common as a bee sting make it necessary to protect your bees’ property and ensure that you know your allergens! 

Treating a Bee Sting

Bee stings are a common injury, especially during the warmer months, so knowing how to care for one is essential. First, you want to remove the stinger. Stings from a wasp or bee tend to have little variation, but a bee’s stinger will detach itself in the wound. The stinger needs to be removed as quickly as possible. The damage from the sting will be lessened if the stinger is removed 15 seconds after the incident. You can remove a stinger by using your fingernails or a credit card. 

After a stinger is removed, it is necessary to wash the wound with soap and water and to apply a cold compress quickly. Additionally, taking some over-the-counter medicine will help mitigate the pain. Antihistamine cream such as Benadryl is ideal for dealing with a bee sting as it has natural coolant properties and is dedicated to dealing with allergies. 

Another great way to deal with a bee sting is to use a common painkiller such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen. Also, if the sting is located on an arm or leg, raise the wound. Keep an eye on the stung person, as they could develop an allergic reaction! If you or someone you know is having a severe reaction, take them to the hospital as their symptoms could worsen, and they could be in a critical health condition. If you are unsure if a reaction to a sting is severe or not, consult a medical professional as soon as possible! It is essential to recognize how to treat a bee sting, as it will alleviate the pain faster, and your loved ones will be grateful. 

Avoiding Bee Stings

A great way to avoid bee-related pain is to protect your house and property from bees. An easy way to get rid of bees is to grow herbs with strong odors that repel bees, such as peppermint, basil, and lemongrass. Equally, it is important to avoid strong-smelling plants that naturally attract bees, such as lavender, sunflowers, daisies, black-eyed-susans, and pansies. 

Another great way is to avoid serving food outside, as strong scents attract bees! 

Perhaps the most obvious way to avoid a bee infestation within your home is to seal all possible entrances that insects can crawl through! Consider using caulk or expandable foam to seal these small crevices! Bees are beneficial, but it is best to avoid them if you have strong allergies! 

Bees are so important to the environment, but they are very scary to those with allergies, those scared of being stung, and parents of young children! If you have a bee problem, consider reaching out to experts such as the pest control experts at TermiGuard Services! Bees can be difficult to deal with. TermiGuard will ensure that your property is bee-free and that no bees are harmed within the removal process!