Common Toxic Mold Symptoms Any Homeowner Should Be Aware Of

Mold Remediation

As a homeowner, keeping your home clean and dry is quite a hefty task. If you don’t have home waterproofing, you could get leaks during rains, and with leaks come toxic mold. Mold is a fungus and typically begins to grow in 24 to 48 hours in an untreated moist environment. It can be found growing on anything from plants to food to ceilings.

Toxic mold can cause serious health effects if ingested.

Some Toxic Mold Symptoms Include:

1. Fatigue and weakness.

2. Chronic headaches.

3. Poor memory and difficulty concentrating.

4. Stiffness in the morning accompanied by joint pain.

5. Sinus congestion, shortness of breath.

6. Chronic coughing.

7. Appetite fluctuations.

8. An unstable body temperature.

9. Abdominal pain, bloating, diarrhea.

10. Increased thirst.

While seniors and children are more prone to becoming affected due to their weakened immune systems, these mold symptoms can be dangerous to anyone in a mold-infested environment. Mold exposure can vary, so here are some common house mold symptoms to keep a lookout for.

What Signals Future Toxic Mold Symptoms?

1. Unmistakable mold odors
Mold typically smells earthy and musty. Usually, mold growth starts to smell before it shows up on the walls, so if you smell anything unusual use your nose to identify the culprit.

2. You can see it
When mold growth becomes visible, you know you have a problem. Mold can come in all colors of the rainbow including yellow, green, pink, or black, and can look cottony, leathery, velvety, or granular. Often times it appears as a discoloration of a ceiling or wall, then transforms into a stain or a fuzzy growth. If you notice mold do not touch it and immediately contact a mold cleanup specialist.

3. You notice stagnant water
Mold loves water, so look for any leaks, condensation problems, standing water, or any water stains. Also, make sure to look behind furniture and pull up carpets for a hidden growth.

4. The home’s exterior looks wet
If your home looks constantly wet or takes a long time to dry after it rains, then this could mean you have mold on the underlying walls or cavities. When water is trapped between your walls, it can cause severe structural damage as the water has no place to go.

Mold can be dangerous, but if it is caught early your house will thank you. Just follow these tips to ensure a nice dry home!